Work Dress Code - Help!

Good Evening All.

I’m really hoping that some of you can give me some advice on this.

I’ve experienced pain for many years, and have been diagnosed with fibro in the last year or so.

At work I am required to see clients face-to-face and the work dress code is that I wear a suit jacket when visible to clients.

I was under the impression that, having discussed my illness and the pain this would cause, we had agreed that I was allowed to not wear the jacket.

I have been called for a disciplinary tomorrow morning because I have seen a client without wearing a suit jacket.

How can I explain to my employer the pain and exhaustion that I experience in dressing into and undressing from a jacket, and the pain that I endure whilst wearing such a heavy and restrictive item of clothing. I know it sounds petty to them, and I’ll come across as a troublemaker.

The reality is that I oft need help dressing normally, and I’m not about to ask colleagues to dress and undress me at work!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

J

I am sorry you have been forced into such an awkward and likely frightening situation. I haven’t signed in for a while. Unfortunately, it looks like your deadline for answers has already passed. How are you holding up?

Dear Friend,
There is something called the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) that you should be aware of. This is your choice, of course, but you could ask your doctor for a note for work that explains that for medical reasons there may be times that you will not be able to wear suit jackets (or dress shoes, or whatever). Per ADA, your employer is required to accommodate your disability. I am not an attorney, but I know about ADA because I am a school nurse and accommodations are required for students, and I have read that they are required for employment too. Look into it. Good luck.