Quantcast

Living With Fibromyalgia - Online Support Group

Why do I do this?

You would think I would learn . . . but I never seem too. :roll_eyes:

Yesterday was a pretty good day - I wasn’t out of it, the pain and fatigue was manageable and in general it was a good day.

I had picked up 10# of ground beef 2 weeks ago but then things went south like they are so good at doing and I didn’t get it divided up. I had just stuck it in the freezer to deal with later. So I tackled that yesterday. I got about 1/2 of it brown, bagged and frozen. Then tucked the rest in the fridge to finish as patties later. Then since I was feeling SO good, you know :smirk:, we ran to the store and got some groceries.

By the time we got home I was beginning to feel it but I pushed ahead. I pulled the meat out and seasoned it, then put it back in the fridge to “marinate” overnight. I should have been smart enough to quit then but felt I JUST HAD to do the dishes before I called it a day.

Needless to say, last night was pretty rough pain wise and it’s been not so good today and the fatigue has really flared as well. I did get the patties done - working at it in stages - and got those froze, well the ones I didn’t save out for supper. No way was I was cooking tonight. LOL However, that is all I got done. The dishes from today are still sitting there waiting, the floors still need swept and all the rest but I really don’t care.

My son told me last night “I wondered” when I told him I thought I had done too much. Why is it that when I am feeling good I think I can do anything I want? I seem to forget that I still need to be careful or I will pay for my foolishness. You would think that after 12 plus years of this I would have it through my thick head. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I sure understand that!! Because you never know how you’re going to feel from one day to the next, when you feel decent you want to get a lot done. When I do overdo it, I try to take a hot, Epsom salt bath in the evening. I know they don’t always help, but they often do. Hugs❤️

We all do it we feel so frustrated not being able to do what we want to do that when we have a good day we over do it I think the hardest thing we have to learn is how to pace ourselves.Sending love and good days for both of you.

Oh, how I miss those baths! I used to do that most evenings, but when I moved here I lost that - no bathtub. :frowning_face:

One of the hardest things for me has been to pace myself and to accept that I can’t do all I once did. I realized this week that it has only been a year since we went to the Grand Canyon with friends. We had 2 weeks of camping, hiking, riding bikes, etc. We biked over 5 miles of trails, walked most of the rest of the trails along the rim and hiked 3 miles down into the Canyon during the week we were there. We didn’t do it all in 1 day, we took a day in-between each to visit areas nearby and to rest, etc. But even so - I couldn’t do that same trip today. And that has been really hard for me to accept and, honestly, I really haven’t yet. :cry: :frowning_face:

Big hugs to you! I know how how you feel and it’s so hard to accept.

We were discussing that trip again after I posted here and I was lamenting the fact that I couldn’t do a trip like that now and my son made the observation that it had been fun and, in a way, he was glad we could do it (after all how often do you get a chance to see the Grand Canyon?) but looking back he feels the trip was too much for me - that I have been slipping slowly ever since. And he is right, I struggle just to get through daily activities now, forget doing anything like camping and hiking. :frowning_face:

It frustrates me . . . you read stories of someone who was paralyzed or who had limbs amputated and they overcome the obstacles and return to hiking or skiing or whatever activities they enjoyed so much before. And I always think there has to be something I am missing. I’m struggling just with daily activities and would love to return to camping, hiking, biking . . .

But it seems like no matter how hard I try or what modifications I make I always pay for it - what’s the fun of hiking if you then spend the next week down as a result?

And, yes, this is a rough morning this morning and the pity monster is throwing a major party. :tada: :smirk: I’m off to see if I can’t at least tone down the party a bit, if not evict it completely.

Gentle hugs to all and hope you have a good day!

I’m sorry you’re having a rough day. What remedies do you try? How can you fit small amounts of hiking/nature into your days without flaring, but feeding your soul? Gentle hugs!!

Maybe a small victory!?!

We went to a small lake about 40 miles from us Friday night and camped out, came home Saturday afternoon. We didn’t do much really except enjoy being outdoors (my son did some fishing and kayaking), but I tried to take some short walks around the campground (a bonus of taking my dog along). Sometimes it was only the equivalent of going around the block 2 or 3 times, sometimes less, once a little farther. But it felt so good! And we want to try and do some more small hikes yet this fall if we can.

I am hurting, but not as bad as I expected really - a nice surprise. The biggest thing I discovered is that I need more padding next time - that ground got mighty hard by morning! :rofl: And I need to remember the pain cream. :roll_eyes:

I’m so happy you got to enjoy one of your favorite things again!! Yes, I can imagine the ground could be mighty hard on a person with fibro!! Ouch!

I think we’re all guilty of the same thing. :grin: Have a virtual hug. :hugs:

Dear Struggling, You sound like a fly on the wall in my house! I do the SAME EXACT THING! I just don’t understand why we have this debilitating decease that so many don’t understand! I get so exhausted and full of pain that I Don’t even talk on the phone to my friends! It has changed my life so terribly. Well, not that it makes you better…but, I do know how you feel and wish something could fix us! Take care my fibrofriend deb xx