"what a disability looks like"

i was on a different blog site called tumblr and i stumbled across a picture... here ill just show you.

I’ll agree that that is what election looks like. That’s what prosthetics look like. That’s what a human being looks like.

That is not “the face of disability.” You don’t see the face of disability, because it’s stuck in bed with an invisible illness unable to go out in the world and seek media attention, or live much of any life at all.

this is so utterly wrong, maybe this is one type of disability but tell me, just because i have both my arms and legs it means i dont have an illness? would it amaze you to know theres a thing called “invisible illnesses” well i have one. maybe this person goes through agonizing pain everyday but so do I, but you dont give me any sympathy. this person may not have legs and i’m lucky enough for that but im not lucky enough to have :

1. PAIN- in the muscle: often described as aching, burning, throbbing, gnawing, shooting, tingling. Almost always exacerbated by exercise and may or may not be present at rest. Can be migratory and differing from day to day.

2. FATIGUE- From feeling tired to exhausted and requiring rest periods during the day.

3. SLEEP DISTURBANCE- not being able to fall asleep and or able to stay asleep. Unrefreshing sleep patterns ” feels like I haven’t slept.”

4. PARESTHESIA- numbness or tingling. ( non dermatomal)

5. DEPRESSION- most often reactive as with chronic pain condition.
6. ANXIETY- may include panic attacks.
7. PERSONALITY CHANGES- usually a worsening of a previous tendency.
8. MOOD SWINGS
9. SUBJECTIVE SWELLING OF EXTREMITIES- i.e. feels swollen but no-one can find anything.
10. HEADACHES- tension and or migraine.
11. COGNITIVE FUNCTION PROBLEMS: calculation difficulties, memory disturbances, spatial disorientation, difficulty with concentration, short
term memory loss.
12. FREQUENT UNUSUAL NIGHTMARES- or being unable to dream.
13. DYSTONIA- stiff muscles due to involuntary contracture. Difficulty in moving tongue to speak.
14. FREQUENTLY SAYING WRONG WORDS
15. BURNING SENSATIONS
16. LIGHT HEADEDNESS- “Fibro Fog”, spaced out, cloudy.
17. MORNING STIFFNESS
18. EASY BRUISING
19. MILD BUTTERFLY RASH- (LUPUS TYPE) May be photo sensitive.
20. NEUROGENIC INFLAMMATION- rashes, may be severe itching. NI causes the symptoms and signs of Dermatographia.
21. DISEQUILIBRIUM- Vertigo
22. MUSCLE WEAKNESS- variable with no “objective” abnormality to formal testing.
23. SCIATICA- like pain
24. PHOTOPHOBIA- Intolerance of bright lights.
25. ALTERATION OF TASTE, SMELL and HEARING.
26. LOW FREQUENCY, SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS.
27. DECRESED PAINFUL SOUND THRESHOLD.
28. TINNITUS- ringing in the ears.
29. OCcASIONAL EXAGGERATED NYSTAGMUS- involuntary rapid movementof the eye ball.
30. CHANGES IN VISUAL ACUITY- impaired function of the smooth muscle used for focus as well as skeletal muscles for tracking.
31. INTOLERANCE OF ALCOHOL
32. ENHANCEMENT OF MEDICATION SIDE EFFECTS
33. INTOLERANCE OF PREVIOUSLY TOLERATED MEDICATIONS
34. WEIGHT CHANGES- usually gained due to the lack of exercise through pain and or tricyclic antidepressants
35. RESTLESS LEGS
36. HEIGHTENED AWARENESS- of symptoms of HYPOGLYCEMIA 9 when blood sugar falls)
37. POSSIBLE CARBOHYDRATE INTOLERANCE
38. SYMPTOMS OF IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME (I.B.S.)
39. HEARTBURN- secondary to I.B.S.
40. SUB-NORMAL TEMPERATURE
41. NIGHT SWEATS.
42. SENSITIVE TO TEMPERATURE EXTREME
43. HEART PALPITATIONS
44. BREATHING DIFFICULTIES
45. HEART MURMUR-Mitral Valve Prolapse appears to be more symptomatic in FM than normal.
46. IMPOTENCE- reactive and occasionally.
47. SEVERE PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME
48. FREQUENT VAGINAL YEAST INFECTIONS.
49. MUSCLE SPASM- twitching.
50. NON-CARDIAC CHEST PAIN- which may simulate cardiac disorder.
51. PELVIC PAIN.
52. ABDOMINAL WALL PAIN.
53. DRY EYES AND MOUTH.
54. TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DISORDER- usually due to abnormal muscle tone.
55. RAYNAUD’S- like symptoms.
56. CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME-possible related condition.
57. HAIR LOSS-secondary to psychological stress from FM.
58. VULVODYNIA- Vulvar discomfort or pain, burning, stinging and irritation.
59. PLANTAR ARCH-or heel pain. Exacerbated in FM.

that is fibromyalgia MY INVISIBLE ILLNESS, dont judge a book by its cover you have no idea what some one is going through. that may be one disability but that is not the face of all disabilities.

yes! some of the most important words ive ever heard!

youre welcome!

me too, i always wish there is something else wrong with me for hope for a cure but there never is ):

i wish you the best.

xoxo

You are so right, missing legs are not the face of disability, that pic is so unfair, disability to me is when you can no longer function the way you used to,symptoms that prevent you from doing what you want, this women may have challenges to run, or maybe she does have pain, but if she can live her life doing what she wants, where is the disability ? I’m sure she has many challenges, but there are some ans. to how to live a normal life without your legs,( prosthetics is one ) there are no ans. to… How to live a normal life when you are in constant pain, constant weakness, and constant fatique… And a whole lot of other symptoms just look at that list… & the fact that people don’t even believe you makes it so much harder.

Hugs& blessings

Hello Aliana!

So very nice to hear from you again!

This is a great post! I can't think of anything that was missed there! Thanks for this great information!

Nice to have you back, don't be a stranger!

Love and hugs,

SK

And even getting outta bed is a bear these days! I grunt and groan so much anymore when getting up in the morning that I feel like Henry the Eighth.

Well, actually we're all disabled, but hers is different and more poignant because she lost her legs in the war, did she not? But that's not to say that our disability is any less disabling than hers. In fact, as Angel pointed out, she can still go to work and function. Not that I'd want to change places with her. I think that the term disability should be enlarged so that people can envision her as well as us, the silent sufferers. We all have some loss, physically and emotionally.

What a woman!

Thank you for posting. My family and friends have no comment when I tell them I’m in such pain that I can’t go somewhere. Your post is a big help! All these symptoms are mine too. I sometimes question myself, because others do, and am never sure if pain is fibro or another cause. Gentle hugs from me to you.

extremely sad, i was once at a concert and brought a wheelchair and was screamed at for standing up being told, "youre faking it so you could be in VIP"

how disrespectful.

aw thank you!!

i never tried lyrica, but savella made me so sick i couldnt take more than the first day

me too!!!

youre totally right as well!!! you said it much better than me!

how someone judges someone by what they look like and assumes they cant be in pain amazes me

xoxo

thank you so much!!!

xoxo

defiantly, the vision of what a disability is, is completely wrong.

i want to bring awareness to invisible illnesses so i dont get so many rude people telling me, "im not sick, im faking it" leaving me in tears.

thats a great idea! im going to post that on my tumblr now!

im so sorry youre going through this as well!

me too, im always questioning myself even though i know what i feel is real.

xoxo

This is the first time I saw a 'carbohydrate intolerance', it is usually just gluten intolerance! This would make life very difficult for the vegetarians and vegans!

i didnt even last 2 days, i had such bad naseau and stomach pain!