i was on a different blog site called tumblr and i stumbled across a picture... here ill just show you.
I’ll agree that that is what election looks like. That’s what prosthetics look like. That’s what a human being looks like.
That is not “the face of disability.” You don’t see the face of disability, because it’s stuck in bed with an invisible illness unable to go out in the world and seek media attention, or live much of any life at all.
this is so utterly wrong, maybe this is one type of disability but tell me, just because i have both my arms and legs it means i dont have an illness? would it amaze you to know theres a thing called “invisible illnesses” well i have one. maybe this person goes through agonizing pain everyday but so do I, but you dont give me any sympathy. this person may not have legs and i’m lucky enough for that but im not lucky enough to have :
1. PAIN- in the muscle: often described as aching, burning, throbbing, gnawing, shooting, tingling. Almost always exacerbated by exercise and may or may not be present at rest. Can be migratory and differing from day to day.
2. FATIGUE- From feeling tired to exhausted and requiring rest periods during the day.
3. SLEEP DISTURBANCE- not being able to fall asleep and or able to stay asleep. Unrefreshing sleep patterns ” feels like I haven’t slept.”
4. PARESTHESIA- numbness or tingling. ( non dermatomal)
5. DEPRESSION- most often reactive as with chronic pain condition.
6. ANXIETY- may include panic attacks.
7. PERSONALITY CHANGES- usually a worsening of a previous tendency.
8. MOOD SWINGS
9. SUBJECTIVE SWELLING OF EXTREMITIES- i.e. feels swollen but no-one can find anything.
10. HEADACHES- tension and or migraine.
11. COGNITIVE FUNCTION PROBLEMS: calculation difficulties, memory disturbances, spatial disorientation, difficulty with concentration, short
term memory loss.
12. FREQUENT UNUSUAL NIGHTMARES- or being unable to dream.
13. DYSTONIA- stiff muscles due to involuntary contracture. Difficulty in moving tongue to speak.
14. FREQUENTLY SAYING WRONG WORDS
15. BURNING SENSATIONS
16. LIGHT HEADEDNESS- “Fibro Fog”, spaced out, cloudy.
17. MORNING STIFFNESS
18. EASY BRUISING
19. MILD BUTTERFLY RASH- (LUPUS TYPE) May be photo sensitive.
20. NEUROGENIC INFLAMMATION- rashes, may be severe itching. NI causes the symptoms and signs of Dermatographia.
21. DISEQUILIBRIUM- Vertigo
22. MUSCLE WEAKNESS- variable with no “objective” abnormality to formal testing.
23. SCIATICA- like pain
24. PHOTOPHOBIA- Intolerance of bright lights.
25. ALTERATION OF TASTE, SMELL and HEARING.
26. LOW FREQUENCY, SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS.
27. DECRESED PAINFUL SOUND THRESHOLD.
28. TINNITUS- ringing in the ears.
29. OCcASIONAL EXAGGERATED NYSTAGMUS- involuntary rapid movementof the eye ball.
30. CHANGES IN VISUAL ACUITY- impaired function of the smooth muscle used for focus as well as skeletal muscles for tracking.
31. INTOLERANCE OF ALCOHOL
32. ENHANCEMENT OF MEDICATION SIDE EFFECTS
33. INTOLERANCE OF PREVIOUSLY TOLERATED MEDICATIONS
34. WEIGHT CHANGES- usually gained due to the lack of exercise through pain and or tricyclic antidepressants
35. RESTLESS LEGS
36. HEIGHTENED AWARENESS- of symptoms of HYPOGLYCEMIA 9 when blood sugar falls)
37. POSSIBLE CARBOHYDRATE INTOLERANCE
38. SYMPTOMS OF IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME (I.B.S.)
39. HEARTBURN- secondary to I.B.S.
40. SUB-NORMAL TEMPERATURE
41. NIGHT SWEATS.
42. SENSITIVE TO TEMPERATURE EXTREME
43. HEART PALPITATIONS
44. BREATHING DIFFICULTIES
45. HEART MURMUR-Mitral Valve Prolapse appears to be more symptomatic in FM than normal.
46. IMPOTENCE- reactive and occasionally.
47. SEVERE PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME
48. FREQUENT VAGINAL YEAST INFECTIONS.
49. MUSCLE SPASM- twitching.
50. NON-CARDIAC CHEST PAIN- which may simulate cardiac disorder.
51. PELVIC PAIN.
52. ABDOMINAL WALL PAIN.
53. DRY EYES AND MOUTH.
54. TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DISORDER- usually due to abnormal muscle tone.
55. RAYNAUD’S- like symptoms.
56. CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME-possible related condition.
57. HAIR LOSS-secondary to psychological stress from FM.
58. VULVODYNIA- Vulvar discomfort or pain, burning, stinging and irritation.
59. PLANTAR ARCH-or heel pain. Exacerbated in FM.
that is fibromyalgia MY INVISIBLE ILLNESS, dont judge a book by its cover you have no idea what some one is going through. that may be one disability but that is not the face of all disabilities.