Quantcast

Thinking of changing doctors

I have been seeing my current rheumatologist for about 9 years. I have enjoyed working with her, until recently. My last appointment upset me. I sent her a message on the health network that my eye doctor thinks I may sjogrens. Apparently, she didn’t like that. She came in the office and intimidated me. She appeared to be insulted that I would listen to an optomologist, I guess. I had to keep drinking water because my mouth was so dry that everytime I spoke, my tongue would stick to the inside of my mouth. She offered me a med to help with the dryness, but she did it with a bit of “well, I guess I can give you something” attitude. I was so put off, that I told her no, but she said, really, I can give you something. I finally agreed, and it helped. But the point is that I don’t appreciate being treated like an idiot. I know she is overworked, but that doesn’t make it okay to treat me rudely. In addition, she has a new nurse who didn’t know me and must have thought I was there because of RA because she went on and on about how the doc hates it when people come in with fibro and want her to okay them for disability. She thinks they just need to exercise and move more and they’ll be okay.
Well, I know some people who can’t work because of fibro or shouldn’t be working (I feel that way myself, at times). So, I let her know that I have fibro and some people really have it bad. I have learned to cope most days.
So, the point of all this is that I am thinking of finding another doc. Someone who really understands pain. So, I was thinking of finding a pain doctor. There are a few close to where my Rheumy is, so wouldn’t be too far to drive to. I guess I’m looking for support. I hate change, it stresses me out. I don’t want to start over with another doctor, but I don’t want to be treated like an idiot either. Oh, and when she looked inside my mouth, she jumped back. She said, it’s never looked like that before! I said, I know, that’s why I’m here. I’ve been dry before, but it has gotten really bad…

Hi I would weigh my options she could have been having a really bad day. Is there another doctor close to you? I think a pain management doctor is a good ideal. Some offer different options besides meds. I am a nurse (retired) the nurse was out of line in my opinion and needs to be reported.

Thank you purplebutterfly. good doctors are hard to come by. I don’t know what to do at this point. Yes, there is a pain management doctor close that I’ve thought about. they have a good practice. And yes, that nurse was rude. Who do I report her to? My doctor?

It never hurts to have another “opinion” and at the same time you can try out a new doc. You can then make your decision better after that. I’m currently in the process of doing that now with one of my docs. I haven’t left him yet, but I’ve gotten the ball rolling and am getting an appointment with a new doc. I’m 99% sure that I’ll switch to the new doc, but I’m keeping the appointment with the old one open until I make sure. Good luck in what you decide. You have to do whatever is better for yourself.

I am sorry it took me so long to answer. My daughter came to visit. You can call and ask for the office manager. Some times that will be the doctor but very seldom. I hope you can find the help you need/

An update: I saw my rheumy last week. She was back to her niceness and attentiveness. As far as the nurse, well, she was removed from meeting with patients and there is a new nurse now (an RN). I like her. She’s funny and respectful. I didn’t report the nurse who was so rude, but someone else must have. She wasn’t fired, she was given “new tasks”.
Blessings to you!

I am glad things worked out. I go Friday for my appointment.

I don’t see my new rhem doc until Sept. Im so happy for you though. And glad you were treated better!