Quantcast

The use of prednisone and fibromyalgia

Hi! Has anyone been given prednisone to treat fibromyalgia? I used a medrol dose pack a month ago and for about three days I felt terrific! So when I mentioned it to my psychiatrist who is also an internist, he gave me a medrol dose pack. This is day two and again I’m starting to feel a lot better. Then he said you must have something rheumatalogic because fibromyalgia does not respond to prednisone. Now I’m confused. Has anyone been on prednisone for fibromyalgia? By the way, all my blood tests have come back negative for this or autoimmune diseases.

I was given a Medrol dose pack and it also helped me. They do not know the root cause of fibro so it’s possible it does help the root cause. Steroids can make just about anyone feel better, so I don’t want your hopes to get too high that you have something else. It’s too bad we are not allowed to take steroids long term like other autoimmune conditions.

Prednisone works by weakening your immune system. This action blocks chemicals that normally cause inflammation as part of your body’s immune response, and can help decrease inflammation in many parts of your body.

Fibro is known to cause random, often low level inflammation so it makes sense that prednisone works on it to some extent.

Steroids in general have the side effect of causing mental status changes. Along with the 'roid rage we’ve all heard about they also cause “a false sense of well being.” So in the short term steroids always make you feel great. Long term use can cause issues.

It’s a matter of picking your poison, I guess. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? That’s your personal decision. I know someone with lupus and someone else with chron’s and they have each made the decision to stay on steroid therapy semi-long term at this point. Quality of life became the critical factor.

azurelle

I also have found relief from pain and tiredness with prednisone. This confused my doctor. I agree that it shouldn’t help, but also agree that we have small amounts of inflammation in our bodies. It’s pretty darn possible that I now have Sjogren’s too. Maybe, maybe not. But I have some of the symptoms. Once my anemia is better, my doc wants to try prednisone or another type of anti-inflammatory to see if I feel better. One thing at a time.

i posted this in another thread some time ago. short version: rheumatologist said cortisone (prednisone) cannot help fibro. when I saw doc I was unable to walk or lift anything. she said she would prove it to me by giving an injection. the following month I nearly danced into her office. I never did like her, so my GP began to give me the shot every 90 days for 8-9 years. I had to choose quality of life vs quantity.
I now am paying the price with chronic pain and osteoporosis but would not change a thing. the cortisone gave me 8-9 wonderful years of working and traveling and doing family things. Thankfully the GP was truthful with me, so the osteo and chronic pain now without the cortisone were NOT a surprise. Choose wisely carolyn