Severe shoulder pain at night

Does anyone have severe shoulder and arm pain at night? It's in both shoulders and arms. It wakes me up every couple of hours. I have to sit up for a while for the pain to ease up. I don't have insurance so I don't have any more medications. I take about 4 motrin for it and it slightly eases the pain. Could it be my pillow?? I don't understand why I'm in so much pain at night? Is there a good pillow for people with fibro?

Are you sleeping on that side? I've been having pain in my right shoulder and have recently started going to a chiropractor and he said my shoulder wasn't in the socket correctly so he's been adjusting it this week. Does your shoulder hurt when you lift your arm up, down, front, back? Mine didn't only when I tried to rotate it up and backwards.

Gentle hugs I hope it gets better soon,

Stacey

Hello Ifeiji

Sorry to hear about this problem you are having. I wonder when this started, and can you think why? I get real bad shoulder arm pain, only in right shoulder tho'. It has been a long term thing for me, and I don't know why either. Could be arthritis, carpal tunnel or just a weird Fibro thing. I find if I lie on my front and hang my arm over the edge of the bed it helps. Sorry I can't be of more help. I f you could visit the Doctor that would probably be the best thing.

Take care, Anne

Wow, I am in the same boat with this at night…
Now it’s during the day too…
I used to have some relief at when straightening
Up but now that doesn’t work…
It’s seems that fibro attacks different parts of the
Body at whim. Wether it’s your neck shoulders arms
Back, hips, Hands or feet! When it hits we suffer.
It’s been my own experience. Taking Ibuprophen
Is good. It takes down some of the inflammation
Which for myself I believe it has a lot to do with my
Neck and all tendons in which ever area it is attacking.
I’m always sorry to hear that yet another person is suffering
But I am so greatful for this site we can go on to talk to others : )
I hope you can get some relief soon. : ) I will put in a friend
Request to you : ) Lisa

Over the last several years the pain in my joints started with my left knee and progressed to my right knee while having occasional severe pain in other parts of my body. Then the pain progressed to my left shoulder and occasionally in my right. Finally had to Have my left knee replaced in June 2014 and the right Aug 2014. The pain in my shoulders has gotten progressively worse and finally my doctor put me on fentanyl patches and 10/325 lortabs and that helped. Now for the last seceral months rhe pain has become constant and almost no sleep. the pain has progressed to my muscles in the arms, my hips, neck and a general feeling of pain and fatigue. I rarely sleep without waking more then 2-3 hours and if I do wake up even though I go back to sleep for a while when I wake up it is though I have had no sleep at all. Will see rheumy next Friday for a long talk. It seems doctors I have gone to are long on talk but short on explanations and ideas that help. I have taken all of the meds that are prescribed for FMS but none have helped for more then a few weeks. That is why the fentanyl and lortabs which I dislike.

Hi hero.

I have bursitis/tendonitis in both shoulders. It is very painful when it acts up. I have found several things that help me- hot showers, Ibuprofen, physical therapy to strengthen the shoulder muscles, maintaining proper posture, Tiger Balm and now acupuncture.
Good luck and please let us know how the rheumy appt. goes.
Laurie

Hero1939 said:

Over the last several years the pain in my joints started with my left knee and progressed to my right knee while having occasional severe pain in other parts of my body. Then the pain progressed to my left shoulder and occasionally in my right. Finally had to Have my left knee replaced in June 2014 and the right Aug 2014. The pain in my shoulders has gotten progressively worse and finally my doctor put me on fentanyl patches and 10/325 lortabs and that helped. Now for the last seceral months rhe pain has become constant and almost no sleep. the pain has progressed to my muscles in the arms, my hips, neck and a general feeling of pain and fatigue. I rarely sleep without waking more then 2-3 hours and if I do wake up even though I go back to sleep for a while when I wake up it is though I have had no sleep at all. Will see rheumy next Friday for a long talk. It seems doctors I have gone to are long on talk but short on explanations and ideas that help. I have taken all of the meds that are prescribed for FMS but none have helped for more then a few weeks. That is why the fentanyl and lortabs which I dislike.

One thing that can cause shoulder pain at night when you are lying down I s rotator cuff impingement. Usually this is also accompanied by pain when you put your arm behind your back and move it up. Rotator cuff impingement can be from an injury (sports players get this) or from the tendons degenerating with age. I’ve had this in my right shoulder from an injury for over a year, it can be diagnosed with a physical exam but I also had an XRay and MRI. I had a cortisone shot but it didn’t go away so I need surgery to fix it.
If you have it in both shoulders then it’s probably from “wear and tear” (age). I guess another possibility is you are having nerve pain from a spine problem in your neck but the pain would be burning rather than aching.
Obviously we are all just speculating here, you do need to see a doctor. Maybe save up for a visit to get a diagnosis and treatment plan. I hope you can get some insurance soon.

My neck sometimes awakens me at night due to severe pain and usually I also have a throbbing headache to go with the neck pain. It's usually when I fall asleep with my head resting on the arm of the sofa because if I lie perfectly flat, my head feels like it's going to explode! And sometimes I get a severe pain in the liver area if my meds don't kick in well enough.

I find that sometimes falling asleep in a reclining chair helps to keep the pain away for several nights. Maybe a better pillow could help with your sleep. I take Nortriptyline, as it helps to relax my muscles so I can sleep. Maybe your problems lie in that direction as well, since many of us have this problem. Unfortunately, the stuff I take is by prescription only. And if you are in the US, shouldn't you be able to get free health care through Obamacare? If you can manage to see a doctor, several drug companies will help you with the cost of the medicine. Some provide it free for six months. If you get on an older medicine, sometimes the pharmacy at Walmart offers it for a low cost.

I hope that something here is helpul for you.

Petunia

I have bursitis in both hips and both shoulders knees and elbows... I use Bio-freeze to help ease the pain... I also get injections... but until I can get injected I use the Bio... I have also used asper cream... If you can stand ICY hot that may be a good thing... I can't tolerate the HOT part of that stuff...LOL... I have ulcers so I cannot take anti inflamatories orally. Epsom salt baths also were a wonderful relief...

My son was the last fella to leave the dorm room so we were left with the leftovers. One of these items was used by a roommate who played football, it looks like a 4th of a long sleeved shirt. I am a tall skinny person & measuring it up to me, from the shoulder to the tummy there are 3- 3X7" sections of gel (on back & front) & for the arm there are 7- 2X4" sections, again on both sides of the arm area. The trademark on it is Cramer. I haven't had to use it TYG & it is in the freezer if I do. I have never thought of something like this but maybe you could go on line & have a look-see. M