OT Assessment

Yesterday I had my third OT assessment. Originally I had asked if I could have a ramp for my front door of my bungalow, which would make it easier with the walker I use. When I have pain in my buttocks, legs etc and are completely exhausted I just wanted something to help me get in. All 3 assessments fibro was behaving itself. I would have liked them to see me at my worst to see the struggle I have. Anyway the OT did bring out a ramp to try. It was a 4’ in length and did not interfere with my immediate neighbour. To get out and in the bungalow with the ramp was wonder! Then I was told the ramp could not be left down because it was not weather proof and it would just go rusty and also would get stolen. That would have meant once I was in the bungalow I would have had to go back out to pick the ramp up! Apart from not able to bend to do this and weakness in arms and hands to lift it up, that would just defeat the object of having a ramp in the first place! Has anyone any suggestions the best way forward? Thank you.

Hi rosebud74! For over two years, I’ve been taking periodic videos of myself using my cellphone. I did this in case my friends or family wanted to see what it’s like when I have a flare. It has been helpful too in that I can show doctors what my pain is like. Maybe it would help the OT understand your needs better?

1 Like

Thank you Freedom for your helpful suggestion. I’ll see what I can do. I have just come back from a very, very short walk up the path. Whatever the OT says I know I need a rollator (walker). The path is a slight slope but it feels like climbing a high mountain and with the strength of the wind I would not have been able to do that walk on my ownwithout the rollator to keep my balance.

1 Like

Hi, Rosebud74!
What a dilemma! I can maybe see the OT bringing you something that had to be brought inside if you had an able bodied person there that could help with that, but it makes absolutely no sense for them to expect you to be able to do that yourself!!! Wishing you the best of luck in getting everything that you need. Please let us know how it is going. :purple_heart:

Well geez I have heard of this material I think it’s called stainless steel that doesn’t rust OMG or even a really really hard plastic I’ve seen those cuz u know I guess people just don’t want to work hard enough to help someone believe me I know they don’t know pain not that I wish any fibro on anyone but I betcha just maybe the world if they only knew just a little how exhausting it can be they want us to move they want us to stop taking pills they want us to smile they want us to go back to when we never ever had this pain that has now taken over our brains cuz it’s like okay I’ll get up and go to work and smile and run and do everything I am supposed to be that everyone wants me or you to be but it will be thru tears and tears and exhaustion I hate it I don’t want it it’s somebody else’s turn believe me I’ve tried tried pretty much all things but right now pain pills are allowing me to move but the negativity that I get from people you would think I was going to hell and I’m scared they are going to take them away with all people abusing them but I use only what I need but this poor lady needs a ramp it’s a little crazy world my goodness I wish you the best luck oh I use music also for pain it’s great for me I put my headphones on and I don’t want nobody else to talk to cuz they all have something to say about fibromyalgia and if they would only read up on it they would maybe understand so I better sign off I’m going on and on I wish you well boy just don’t get it a silly ramp to ease someone I just want to shake this world sorry!!!

1 Like

Dear Friends

Thank you so much for all your kind words and support about my having a ramp. I wish the OT could read what you have all said! I have got some wonderful news. At lunchtime the minister of my church came, he mended the rollator (walker) for me. The plate at the bottom that you press with your foot (if I have the strength or not in too much pain to do it) that tip the rollator up a kerb had sheared off. Then he went back to the car and came back with a half finished ramp he is making me. He is making it out of loft flooring boards. He has taken it away to finish it off and will make it non slip and waterproof.

1 Like

That is amazing news, Rosebud74! Your minister sounds wonderful, and he will be blessed for his generosity. He knows what a truly deserving and precious soul you are! :blue_heart: