Open Mic: Ever have Decision Fatigue?

When you deal with a chronic condition like we do, fatigue is just … well, part of life.

What is decision fatigue?

Every time you make a decision, you’re using valuable brain power. As you make choices throughout the day, your mental energy begins to decrease. Eventually, your brain becomes ‘fatigued’ or exhausted. When this happens, you’re much more likely to make rash choices, poor decisions, and give into temptation. (There’s a reason people are more likely to skip the gym or jump into a bag of chocolate after a decision-heavy day at work!)

Don’t worry though - there’s a solution! You can prevent decision fatigue by making certain choices in advance. This allows you to retain your mental energy for more important decisions and activities throughout the day. For example, before you go to bed at night, already decide what you’ll have for breakfast the next day, what you’re going to wear, what time you’ll leave the house in the morning, and what time you’ll workout. This way you get more out of yourself and your day!

So this week’s question:

What choices can you make today so you have more mental energy tomorrow?

We’re curious! 😊

Thank you to image for supplying this Open Mic material.

1 Like

So it’s like, solution is living the life as a micro manager?

I know. I thought the same. Plan everything the night before … OKAAAAY … but on the other hand, putting your ducks in a row in the evening gets that off your mind in the morning when your state of mind might be worse.

I’m kind of like that with dinners. My week goes smoother if I plan what’s for dinner for M-F if I do it on Sunday evening. And that monkey’s off my back. It’s kind of like making one big decision, instead of making the decision at 5 pm each night for five nights.

But yes, I t hink you are right about the tendency to micromanage.j Good point.

seenie

2 Likes

While the possibility exists to become rigid or micro-manage, the concept is sound. It can help to try and lay our a schedule at the beginning of the week. Ie; we are much more likely to workout if we schedule it into our day in advance.
I load my work calendar into the computer every Sunday and that goes a long way towards keeping me on track and less likely to miss something.
I know that when I am flared and fatigued, brain fog is real and I truly can’t even decide on dinner. My approach is to keep staples in the fridge. On the bad days, I cook whatever is easiest and it helps to know whats in there. Soft planning. Lol.
Being totally honest, some days I’ll tell my husband that I just can’t and he does it which really helps.

2 Likes

Well, having a schedule (even if it isn’t written out) helps! (I currently work from home and that saves me the energy of getting dressed up, putting on makeup, etc…) If you have the same thing for breakfast and snacks every day (hopefully, healthy options) that is also less decision making. Or, easy decisions, like fruit and yogurt or pretzel crisps (very good and low calorie) and maybe string cheese…The pups love to help me eat both the yogurt and string cheese! I opt to “snack” instead of eating lunch. My little dog even keeps me on schedule, telling me when I’ve sat at the computer too long - Time for a break in the sunshine, playing fetch with Bella and doing stretches while she chases the stick. I already know I usually won’t have the extra energy to make dinner, so I’m blessed that my hubby will cook (I’ll clean up!), or we will make sandwiches or cereal or eat take-out…

1 Like

This popped up with perfect timing- I’m justifying the extra 4 - 10 hours work planning things for my Year 2 class this term so I won’t have to think about things “on the run” which I frequently cannot do fast enough to keep them engaged (they LOVE learning and want heaps of practice, which is needed, so I’m happy to work with them). It will be the same for next term, probably a few more hours than that in planning, but an hour a day of FAST paced work I won’t have to think about at the time. To be honest I was beginning to second guess putting this much work in, but your comment put me right back on track!

2 Likes

LOL Jess! Glad this gave your decision making a boost.

So who and what do you teach? (I’m an old retired school marm myself.) Year 2 … that’s either 6-7 year olds or it’s the 14-15 group.

Whichever, I always felt that a lot of prep (particularly on your first few “rounds” with a subject or a grade level is time well-spent). That’s an investment, not a time expenditure. And down the road, that solid, detailed prep with leave you with a permanent bag o’ tricks that you can use any time.

Glad we helped, even if it wasn’t strictly fibro-related!

Seenie

1 Like

Thank you Seenie! It will be a wonderful investment, especially if I am on the same grade next year. I have the Primary School Year 2 (6-8 years old), which means we teach all learning areas. I had this class two years ago as a Kindergarten class (4-6 years old) and it’s amazing to see how far they’ve come. I also taught the current Year 1 class as a Kindy group, so I know if I have them next year, this investment will pay off BIG TIME! I know I can’t make decisions fast enough to keep up with them in phonics without the pre planning (which means letter/sound pairings, words and sentences) as the whole lesson lasts just 1/2 hour and covers so much learning.

1 Like