New to Fibro & this Community

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Alyssa, I'm 26, and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in December. Three years ago I was also diagnosed with idiopathic gastroparesis (unrelated). I'm pretty sure that my fibro was onset last May, when I was under a great amount of stress from work.

I had graduated from UCSB with an Environmental Studies degree, but couldn't find anything in my career field. I ended up working at a bar, where I was the bookkeeper, a bartender, running a night weekly promotionally and handling their merchandise inventory. I logged 100 unpaid hours of work during this time, and when I went to their corporate department last May, the stress of dealing with that and the consequent switching of locations where I worked manifested first as back pain, with other symptoms arriving throughout consequent months.

I haven't gotten very good care thus far, and it's been really hard since I have fibro fog pretty consistently. I just got dumped by the guy I thought I was going to marry, because he couldn't handle my diagnosis and not only blamed me for it, but also said that he could no longer see me as a person separate from fibromyalgia/gastroparesis.

I'm moving back home (from Los Angeles to the Bay Area) this weekend so that my parents can help take care of me. I know I should be excited to be moving home, especially since they rented an apartment for me. However, the depression and anxiety part of my fibro haven't been well managed yet, and I'm extremely depressed due to everything I explained above. I feel empty and alone, and still have a week left until my parents can come get me. I'm pretty miserable, and haven't really eaten in days. My body's used to it, with the gastroparesis and all, but it's rejecting just about everything right now.

Having BOTH of these illnesses is REALLY HARD. Especially when it comes to eating. Everything that is recommended for fibromyalgia diet-wise is something that I WILL throw up from gastroparesis. I'm starting to research and take vitamins, but both of these affecting me at the same time is really freaking hard and makes most of my time spent in bed.

Also, fibro flares hit me with a vengeance after I throw up. So I get them 3-5 x weekly.

I have a dog, Baxter, who is certified as an ESA (emotional support animal). He's a cockapoo, and is the best part of my life. I got him with my ex after Christmas and he is pretty much the only thing keeping me going right now, since I have to take care of him and walk him daily. The walks have been helping both my mental and physical symptoms, but the relief is brief. It's hard to take care of him all the time since he's only 6 months old and has a ton of energy, but I'm trying.

Sorry for the essay!! It feels good to let all this out at least online. It's been a struggle to say the least, and since I've quit my job, I don't really have anything to do all day and I've just been letting the fibro fog run my life and space out. I don't really know how to get out of this rut without some serious medication additions (right now I'm on prozac, neurontin and zofran for nausea from gastroparesis) and all this WAITING for things to start being better is driving me insane. I think that's the worst part of the fibro, especially since I'm a super type A personality who thrives on being busy and productive and being socially connected.

I am looking forward to reading everyone's suggestions and tips on the discussion board, you guys are GREAT and I've already found some good tips. Thank you already for being here!

If anyone has any advice nutrition-wise for me, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm already having to be gluten and dairy-free, but I can't do fiber, fat, lots of grease/oil, raw fruits and vegetables, wheat, and a lot of sugar. Basically I eat a lot of baby food right now and it is NOT fun.

Hi Alyssa,

My name is Sara and I'm 27 years old. Welcome to this wonderful site of support, advice and friendship! : ) It sounds like you are going through a really tough time right now and have a lot of things changing in your life. Change and stress that accompanies it can really set our Fibro off and cause flares. What do you do that helps your Fibro symptoms? Have you figured out smaller or larger things that work for you? I really love hot baths and heat blankets. The heat seems to soothe and create calmness within my body. When I first joined this site, one member suggested that I create an "emergency kit" of things that work for me. Mine currently consists of Tylenol, Ibuprofen, a few emergency pain pills for very bad flares, Salonpas patches for muscle relaxation and tension, snacks like nuts for protein and Skittles (because I love candy) and a vibrating massage pillow that I keep at work by my desk in case my low back starts hurting.

I'm glad you have your dog as your emotional companion. Animals are so wonderful and provide unconditional love, support and friendship. I have a Cat named Percius that I love dearly. He is not registered as a support animal, but he definitely adds joy and happiness to my life.

Looking forward to getting to know you,

Sara

Hi Alyssa and welcome! I am very happy you joined. There is great information in the Fibro 101 section, it offers suggestions on symptom management. Also, if you look at the Positive Pick-Me-Up category, you will find a lot of great tips / hints / information. I look forward to knowing you. Hugs!!!