Memorial Day, what does it mean to you?

Here is a brief history of the US holiday to honor all fallen soldiers. All gave some, some gave all...

http://www.history.com/topics/memorial-day-history

I came from a family who served, my grandfather was on the beaches of Normandy, my Dad was in the South Pacific, my husband in SE Asia. My son and brother also served.

I have been to visit many in VA hospitals, and I am forever grateful for the sacrifices of so many young men and women throughout history.

This is the time I honor them, I thank them, I remember them.

Sometimes our culture reduces the true meaning of the holiday by turning it into yet another big sales event, but our flag is flying, and we thank all US soldiers and their allies around the globe.

Thank you all,

SK

My uncles served in WWII, cousins in Vietnam. I really think of my Uncle Vernon. He was a career soldier who served 29 1/2 year. You may wonder why not 30. Well, they were going to get him involved in the Vietnam War so he retired.

My Mom and Dad were both Coast Guard WWII. Two Uncles served WWII. My Grandfather served WWI. The tiny town I live in has lost two of our beloved young men in our current war, friends of our kids. One was a Navy Seal, whose helicopter was shot down over Iraq. The other we don't know the cause of death. My own sons would have enlisted if it weren't for health problems.

My husband and I spent yesterday putting flowers on graves of all of our family and friends buried at the beautiful Willamette National Cemetary. It's an honor that we take very seriously. It's a tradition that I grew up with, a simple way to show respect for our service people that are no longer with us. A time to remember. A memorial.

I'm proud to be an American and proud to support those who serve.

Thanks SK.

LKitty

Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for those who have died serving our country. This is a great time to honor our veterans. My Grandfather, Dad, Uncles and Brothers all served. My Nephew and many friends of my children are now serving. We were suppose to be in Washington D.C this weekend for the Rolling Thunder which is is an annual motorcycle rally that is held in Washington, DC during the Memorial Day weekend to call for the government's recognition and protection of Prisoners of War (POWs) and those Missing in Action (MIAs). Unfortunately I broke my collar bone 6 weeks ago and I was unable to attend but my sister and friends are there. We will attend a Memorial Day parade instead. Here are a few pictures my sis sent me. She said there were over 10,000 people there honoring our fallen soldiers.

For me it is a time of quiet reflection on the sacrifices our vets & active military people have given on my behalf. My grandfather was in WW1, and my father was in the Korean War. Neither would speak of their experiences because of the horror of war. God bless and comfort all who are affected by war.

Memorial Day means everything to me. I've had a lot of servicemen and women in my family, and some of my closest friends are soldiers. I love each and every one of them and marvel at their commitment and sacrifice, we have freedom because of them.

My uncle has always been the one I have looked up to the most though, he is a Vietnam Vet and most amazing, kind, wonderful man you will ever meet. I pray I can be more like him, to be selfless and fight for something greater than my own interests.

God bless America, and God bless our troops and veterans!!

SK, I tried twice to answer you on this link but lost both responses last night. So let me try again now.

I am proud of and thankful for the people who have risked their lives to keep our butts out of a sling. Ever since the Boston bombing, I've been hyper-aware of how close to home terrorism really is. For our men and women to fight it is amazing, considering the huge risks they take every day. So thank you to them, as well as the fallen soldiers. I know that Memorial Day is supposed to only honor those soldiers who have fallen but I personally wanted to thank those who are also alive and serving. Thank you to all of you. You are the building blocks upon which freedom is held. Bless you for that.

My dad and grandfather both served in the wars. As others have said, they didn't talk about those times. Obviously war time is not something that people want to look back upon as a norm. Still, they both served and served proudly. I'm extremely thankful for that.

God Bless America and Thank You, Veterans.

MY FAMILY HAS SERVED DURING WAR AND PEACETIME MY ANCESTOR AMERICAN ANDREW PEEZE FOUGHT IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR. MY PATERNAL GRWNDFATHER SERVED IN THE CIVIL WAR UNION SIDE 4 UNCLES WERE IN WW2 MY DARS BROTHERS MY UNCLE RICHARD AFTER WW2 MY COUSIN DAVID IN VIETNAM MY COUSIN NICK OR JOE IN IRAQ MY DAD WAS IN THE ARMY PEACETIME DURING THE DRAFT. MY COUSIJ DQN ROTC DURING COLLEGE BECAME 2ND LEUTENANT WAS GOING TO SERVE 20 YEARSIN THE MARINES HE WAS MARRIEE THEY HAVE A SON THEY DIVORCED SO HES W CIVILIAN TO SPEND TIME WITH HIK HE DIDNT ACCEPT ANOTHER RESIGN HE HWD 2 YEARS LEFT THAT WAS 4 YEARS AGO IF YOU DONT ACCEPT YOUR CAREERS OVER THATS WHAT HIS MOM MY AUNT TOLD ME WE SHOULD STOP EACH DAY AND SAY A PRAYER FOR THE FALLEN SOLDIERS THE ONES SERVING AND THEIR FAMILIES I WAS THINKING LAST NIGHT THAT A LOT OF THE WW2 VETS THWT WERE RESIDENTS HAVE DIED SINCE IVE WORKED AT THE KENSINGTON ALMOST 18;YEARS WEVE LOST AT LEAST 5 THERE AT LEAST 4 LIVING INCLUDING A WOMAN A WAC I HOPE PEOPLE WILL STOP SOMETIME TODAY AND REMEMBER WHAT TODAY REALLY MEANS FREEDOM ISNT FREE THERES A PRICE TO PAY NOT ONLY FOR THE SOLDIERS BUB. FOR THEIR FAMILIES HAVE W GOOD TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY WND FRIENDW TODAY

GOD BLESS AMERICA THANK YOU TO ALL THE VETERANS PAST PRESENT FUTURE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9s46ncDWE

This is a video tribute to a young man whose helicopter was shot down in Iraq.

I am thankful for all veterans and all who have died for our freedom.