Quantcast

Living With Fibromyalgia - Online Support Group

Is anyone having a hard time getting family and friends to understand Fibro?

My husband tries to understand but I don’t think he really does. Last night when I was complaining about my pain he said he hurts just as bad from working in the yard. It really made me upset that he said that to me. I really thought he understood better than that. I just don’t know how to explain it to him. Any suggestions?

Hi I am glad you reached out here. We do have some resources and tips on site here on suggestions on how to explain Fibro. I know for most of us, including myself, it can be very frustrating and discouraging when we don’t feel like others understand. I used to get really upset (and still do sometimes) when it seems like people close to me don’t understand. One thing I have done that seems to help is I try really hard to be empathetic to others. When a friend is telling me how much she hurts from what I might perceive to be a minor thing, I try to listen and empathize. Often after I have done that then I can say something like, “that is how I feel sometimes with Fibro. Sometimes I also feel . . .” I have found that people I know can relate a little
more if I am empathetic to their issues as well. I do understand how difficult Fibro is to explain. Kind of like trying to explain childbirth to someone who hasn’t experienced it. Hard to understand unless you have gone through it.

Thank you for your input. Some days are harder than others to try an explain how I feel to someone that clearly doesn’t understand. I feel like women in general understand better than men. I have been told it is all in my head and I should be able to get through it. I will check out the resources on the site to see if anything can help me. Thank you again for your support and input.