Head pain and hot spots

They aren’t headaches but sharp head pains that roam around, strike, last for a few minutes and then go away - only to move on to another area. My head becomes very hot to the touch in the spot where the pain is but the rest of my head remains normal temperature. It’s been going on for a couple go years now. Does anyone else deal with this sort of thing?

Hi Pom,

I'm not a Doctor, nor do I have TN, but have a sister in law who suffers this, (as a result of a root canal) so I did a good bit of research on this before even joining Ben's Friends. Here is some info on it, but please, do ask your Doctor about it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigeminal-neuralgia/DS00446

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=trigeminal+neuralgia&qpvt=t...

I'm so sorry you suffer from this, hope you get some answers and some relief very soon!

Wishing you well,

SK

We have a group that may be of help to you,

http://www.livingwithfibro.org/group/fibroandcranialnervedisorders

SK,

First of all, thank you so much for replying. Secondly, thank you for the link!

I received a clinical DX of TN about 11 yrs ago. At that time it was strictly in my face. I guess it didn’t occur to me that it would be related because - while this hurts and pretty much sucks - it’s not even remotely the same caliber of pain as the TN pain. I suppose it could be the atypical variety though.

Thanks again
Pom

There is also a group entirely dedicated to TN, which is also a Ben's Friends group, you could belong there as well as here on the Fibro site. They have a very large membership, and may be of great help to you!

So sorry you suffer this, it is rated about as high on the medical pain chart as you can get!

Had similar pains from FM, very unpleasant, hope you feel better.

Yes, I get these striking pains.
I already have a disease called Trigeminal Neuralgia, but these are separate stabbing pains to that condition. TN strikes the three branches of the Trigeminal nerve. But these other striking pains occur in all random spots on in my head. I asked my neurologist about it. He did not know why I was getting these other sensations.

HI

yes , like lightning bolts in your brain. Very painful. Dr. said they were migraines. Mine have been going on for at least 40 years.

Shirley

Thank you for replying, Sally. Do you get the heat in those spots too? The rest of my head is my normal temp but those spots are hot to the touch for as long as the pain lasts. I was clinically DXed with TN about 11 yrs ago but have been in remission from the pain that merited the DX for quite awhile.

Yes, Shirley, the pain is ridiculous but the hot spots have me very confused as they’re on my head. With FM you get used to hot spots in muscle areas that hurt but on the skull…strange for me.

Thank you, Cape. Yours were confirmed as being FM and also cause hot spots on your head?

I had noticed the TN group when I joined Ben’s Friends but as my TN issues (the ones that earned me the DX) have/had largely been in remission I didn’t join that group. I am confused by the heat and may have to go over there and ask about it though. Thank you for the recommendation.

Hi again, SK

Sorry to bother you but I’ve been trying to look at the TN group from my Ben’s Friends app and from a browser. Each time I do the page loads and then shuts down and closes the window/browser so I’m unable to view anything or navigate. Any idea what might be the cause? I’m using an iPad if that makes any difference. It doesn’t happen on the FM group or the rare diseases group…

Thank you again

Well,

I didn't have any other diagnosable problems and and, over time, evolved into other FM symptoms that have continued, largely, to change over the years, except for a few constants. I have a few arthritic problems in fingers and toe (family history) but every symptom, and I've had plenty, has been FM so far.

Saw a lot of different docs 6 years ago for a rediagnosis...FM.

I wasn't sad to see that symptom go. It started was during the trauma time (dying brother) that I got FM. My guess is that psychological or physical trauma starts 95% of FM diagnoses. Not sure if resolving the trauma resolves the FM and I read a lot of this stuff as MH person. Sometimes it's not easy to "resolve trauma" though some people do.

Wait, your pains will dissipate.

Hi

I hear you hun. Back in the day I had a lot of drama in my life. I think I gave up the ghost. Now I don't care at all. Get no help from doctors. Just suffer alone at home. What else can one do. Going to the doctor is a waste of time. Every year I can tack on another problem my body has to endure. It sux big time getting old. Hugs and loves to all.

There will come a point in time where my bodies defences will just wither away as they have to spread them selves thin looking after my shell.

Shirley

I agree with SK, I was just going to say that it sounds like my Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia. The typical TN is a bit different, it has the zaps but only in one area. Atypical can have zaps and burning and in different areas and much more.

Shirley, sounds like you may have bee misdiagnosed. Electrical jolts come with cranial neuralgias, one of those neuralgias is trigeminal neuralgia. 40 years ago there was no way for your Dr. to know about TN. The links that SK posted in a post above might be worth you looking at too.

Thank you all so much for your feedback. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

OH I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING ELSE! If you are withdrawing from antidepressants or Lyrica or Cymbalta, you can get zapping, and there are some new meds that cause it too. So think about any changes in medicine you've made.