Has anyone tried Oil Pulling?

I was just curious if anyone here has ever tried oil pulling or is currently practicing oil pulling? In case know one has any idea of what I am talking about. Oil pulling is when you swish cold pressed unrefined virgin coconut oil or a different oil if you choose in your mouth, but coconut oil is suppose to be the best because it contains antibacterial agents and anti-microbials, You swish it around for 10 to 20 minutes and then spit it out. Do not swallow it, the swishing has pulled out toxins from your mouth. Swishing the oil is suppose to pull all the toxins and bacteria from your mouth, and the rest of your body.Which makes since, because most diseases enter our bloodstream through our mouth.

I keep hearing such great benefits from oil pulling. I have heard a few people that suffer from fibromyalgia and other chronic illnesses say that they have seen improvement after a few months of oil pulling. I am thinking about doing it because I have very sensitive gums, teeth and sinus problems and it is suppose to be fantastic for your overall oral health and sinus congestion.

Hugs to all, Shell

Hi Shell, please make sure to discuss this first with your doctor, just to make sure it would be ok with your current treatment plan. Here is an article from CNN, it highlights some of the potential negative effects.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/health/oil-pulling/index.html.

Hi Auburnm,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I will definitely check with my doctor first. Thank you for the link. There are so many different sites about oil pulling, but none of them really do not go into great detail. I do know someone who does oil pulling but she only does it to heal her gums, she has gingivitis. She said it works great for her headaches also. I am not doing anything until I talk to my doctor and dentist.

Hugs, Shell

Just wanted to comment that the “toxins” theory of diseases for illnesses such as fibromyalgia has little to no scientific backing. Be careful as the internet can be a very misleading source of information on these topics. Any site selling coconut oil or other oil pulling products (or alternative products generally) is not the best source of information on oil pulling.

Hi Starr,

I completely agree with you. I never trust anything on the Internet. I was just curious about it. I do know that unrefined pressed coconut oil has many benefits when you eat it, such as lowering cholesterol and stabilizing blood sugar, and more. My dentist did tell me today that it is great to oil pull to keep your teeth and gums healthy and preventing cavities, but it is not a replacement for going to the dentist. He says he has other patients that oil pull and they and he have seen great results. I was just more curious as to how there would be any benefits for fibromyalgia.

Hugs, Shell

I'M GOING TO TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.ILL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.HSVE A GOOD EVENING AND WEEKEND.

Okay, great. I was going to try it this morning, but I forgot to buy some coconut oil when I was at the store. I am going to get some more tomorrow. I am going to give it a try for a week maybe two weeks to see how it goes. If I start noticing my teeth and gums feel a lot better, then I will add it into my morning routine.

Hi Shell,
Oil pulling to treat fibromyalgia has no scientific or medical basis. That’s great you checked with your dentist before trying it for oral hygiene. You might want to go take a look at that CNN article that was linked above as a professor at one of the top dental schools (Mark Wolff, professor and chair at the New York University College of Dentistry) expresses skepticism about oil pulling’s effects on oral health.

“I am not sure there is any harm, but I have never seen it have any positive effect on my patients who have been using oil pulling or in clinical research that has been published.”

Even a practitioner of eastern medicine warns that “there can be negative side effects if improper technique is used, including dry mouth, excessive thirst, muscular stiffness, exhaustion and loss of sensation or taste in the mouth.”

So just be careful, follow your dentists instructions, and report back!
Take care,
Starr

Hi Starr,

Thinks for the reply and information. I will definitely be careful. I will post back and let everyone know how it goes. If I do not like it, I will just stick to eating it and getting the health benefits that way.

Hugs, Shell