Quantcast

Living With Fibromyalgia - Online Support Group

Giving Ourselves Credit Each Day

#1

I'm been starting this new process everyday when I go to bed where I think of 3 things I should give myself credit for accomplishing each day. It makes me feel thankful for being able to do things, feel proud of myself and helps me focus on what I CAN do versus focusing on what I CAN'T.

Mine are:

1. I got up this morning and made it to work despite the pain and fatigue.

2. I made an organic lunch to continue to stick to my new organic diet which is helping me feel better physically and mentally(Each day is a battle with this diet because I crave junk food).

3. I took time for self-care at work and listened to 80's music hits on my lunch to destress.

What are yours? : )

Hugs,

Sara

1 Like
#2

Hello Sara,

Great idea, we all need to focus on positive, and I believe the more you do, the more you can do.

Take care, Anne

1 Like
#3

Great idea Sara!

Yesterday I:

1. I do volunteer work for a non-profit and we have arranged it so I can do most of it from home, but I went into the office yesterday for about 1.5 hours.

2. I rested then I went to the book store with my husband

3. For exercise I pushed myself around the bookstore in my wheelchair.

Thank you for thinking of this. I can't wait to see what others write.

Jackie S

1 Like
#4

This is awesome! I've tried to do this in the past but I think it helps to write it down. For today, I did:

1) traveled an hour & half to take my mom to visit my brother & SIL & their kids.

2) signed up for a walking program w/ my soon-to-be 12yr old daughter

3) took time to rest & relax after getting home from driving so much

1 Like
#5

Great responses! : ) I agree, JennG, it definitely does help to write it down. Let's keep it going...

Yesterday I:

1. Enjoyed Easter dinner with my husband and his family.

2. Took a nap when I got home to be better prepared for work on Monday morning.

3. Completed 2 loads of laundry.

Hugs,

Sara

1 Like
#6

Ok, I'm a few days behind. Lets see what I've done the past few days.

1) attempted to go to the walking thing on Monday but ended up w/ a migraine, my intent was good. :)

2) was extremely busy at work the past few days but I haven't called in...yet. :)

3) fixed the strainer in the tub, had to pull the old one out w/ pliers (it was gross!) and ran to the hardware store to get a new one (hey, it's the little things) :)

How's it going w/ you Sara?

1 Like
#7

Hi Jenn,

Great response! : ) It definitely is about the little things, I agree!

1. Even though I was feeling miserable at work yesterday from pain, I toughed it out and did not miss any work.

2. BBQed dinner last night on the grill.

3. Woke up early today to take a hot bath before work to set the tone for today of relaxation and low stress.

Hugs,

Sara

JennG said:

Ok, I'm a few days behind. Lets see what I've done the past few days.

1) attempted to go to the walking thing on Monday but ended up w/ a migraine, my intent was good. :)

2) was extremely busy at work the past few days but I haven't called in...yet. :)

3) fixed the strainer in the tub, had to pull the old one out w/ pliers (it was gross!) and ran to the hardware store to get a new one (hey, it's the little things) :)

How's it going w/ you Sara?

1 Like
#8

I also started doing this in the evening trying to look at the things I did accomplish during the day instead of what I didn't get done. It has helped tremendously in dealing with everyday chores and household issues. Food is another... problem that I am trying to eliminate a lot glutein and other foods that irritate me. I am lucky my husband always compliments me in what I do get done even if it is one or 2 things only being as simple as cleaning the kithen and getting the laundry done.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. Gypsy

1 Like
#9

Just saw this thread, and I think it is a great idea. There's an idea in the technology startup industry of "bootstrapping" - of taking the little you have and building on it bit by bit until you have a company. Fibromyalgia reminds me of that. I've figured out a lot of tiny, tiny things that make me feel better or make me more effective that seem like hardly anything at the time, but I compare to where I was a year ago and there is a real difference.

Today I've felt very unproductive at work, but I still:

- Accepted a training that my boss selected me to do (and I'll be helping to train my coworkers when I get back), and then began planning how I can travel with fibro and stay healthy. I have a month to work it out, and a super-supportive husband.

- Helped connect two groups of people at work who were able to solve a problem together that they couldn't have solved alone

- Ate chocolate. Don't laugh, it counts! I'll replace this with "hugged each of my children" when I get home, though :-p

I'm pretty happy every day I just make it through the work day.

1 Like
#10


Sunday I had a great day!

2 loads of laundry done.

Cleaned my kitchen.

Helped husband with our pickup exhaust.( Just holding the pipe up while he put new muffler and brackets on)

Played frizbee with our dog at the park. ( it is right beside our house.)

Cooked chicken alfredo and salad for dinner.

I felt really accomplished on Sunday. Today Monday will probably be less but at least going to do a couple things....because I tell myself I have too! :) Everyone Have a wonderful day!


Ethel said:

Just saw this thread, and I think it is a great idea. There's an idea in the technology startup industry of "bootstrapping" - of taking the little you have and building on it bit by bit until you have a company. Fibromyalgia reminds me of that. I've figured out a lot of tiny, tiny things that make me feel better or make me more effective that seem like hardly anything at the time, but I compare to where I was a year ago and there is a real difference.

Today I've felt very unproductive at work, but I still:

- Accepted a training that my boss selected me to do (and I'll be helping to train my coworkers when I get back), and then began planning how I can travel with fibro and stay healthy. I have a month to work it out, and a super-supportive husband.

- Helped connect two groups of people at work who were able to solve a problem together that they couldn't have solved alone

- Ate chocolate. Don't laugh, it counts! I'll replace this with "hugged each of my children" when I get home, though :-p

I'm pretty happy every day I just make it through the work day.

1 Like
#11

Hi Ethel,

Thanks for sharing : ) It sounds like you felt unproductive, but you made it a very productive day despite how you felt. I understand what you mean about making it through the work day. It can be rough, but we make it through!

Hugs,

Sara
Ethel said:

Just saw this thread, and I think it is a great idea. There's an idea in the technology startup industry of "bootstrapping" - of taking the little you have and building on it bit by bit until you have a company. Fibromyalgia reminds me of that. I've figured out a lot of tiny, tiny things that make me feel better or make me more effective that seem like hardly anything at the time, but I compare to where I was a year ago and there is a real difference.

Today I've felt very unproductive at work, but I still:

- Accepted a training that my boss selected me to do (and I'll be helping to train my coworkers when I get back), and then began planning how I can travel with fibro and stay healthy. I have a month to work it out, and a super-supportive husband.

- Helped connect two groups of people at work who were able to solve a problem together that they couldn't have solved alone

- Ate chocolate. Don't laugh, it counts! I'll replace this with "hugged each of my children" when I get home, though :-p

I'm pretty happy every day I just make it through the work day.

1 Like
#12

Hi Gypsco,

I have found it very helpful as well. I struggle with food and food choices also. I was doing very well eating organic and hormone free for about 3 weeks, but my husband and I went out to dinner with a few friends and it wasn't the healthiest eating choice. I crave the foods I once enjoyed though, like buffalo wings with blue cheese and french fries. I'm suffering for it now. I have inflammation all over and I feel like crap. I need to get back on the healthy eating wagon!

Hugs,

Sara
Gypsco said:

I also started doing this in the evening trying to look at the things I did accomplish during the day instead of what I didn't get done. It has helped tremendously in dealing with everyday chores and household issues. Food is another... problem that I am trying to eliminate a lot glutein and other foods that irritate me. I am lucky my husband always compliments me in what I do get done even if it is one or 2 things only being as simple as cleaning the kithen and getting the laundry done.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. Gypsy

1 Like
#13

Hi Jackie S.,

Wonderful! : ) I think it is great that we can give back to the community when we can like doing volunteer work. I'm glad the organization is able to work with you and accommodate you being able to work from home. I volunteered for a fundraiser at work last winter, and it was so rewarding.

Hugs,

Sara

Jackie S. said:

Great idea Sara!

Yesterday I:

1. I do volunteer work for a non-profit and we have arranged it so I can do most of it from home, but I went into the office yesterday for about 1.5 hours.

2. I rested then I went to the book store with my husband

3. For exercise I pushed myself around the bookstore in my wheelchair.

Thank you for thinking of this. I can't wait to see what others write.

Jackie S

1 Like
#14

Thank you, Sara - that was what that day was :-) I was at the peak of my monthly PMS flare, and I always have a rough time where I just don't do my best on those days. Very fibro-foggy.


SaraZ553 said:

Hi Ethel,

Thanks for sharing : ) It sounds like you felt unproductive, but you made it a very productive day despite how you felt. I understand what you mean about making it through the work day. It can be rough, but we make it through!

Hugs,

Sara

Here are three things for today:

1. Got a handoff for a project that has been floating around and not really getting completed at work, so that now the ball is solidly in my court and I can actually move it along.

2. Took a painkiller for distracting aches and pains, rather than trying to work through them (I'm really bad about forgetting that painkillers can help and make me more productive - pre-fibro, I took painkillers maybe once a month).

3. Made plans to help my husband celebrate his birthday. I am hoping my health holds up and I can do some housecleaning this weekend (since he is a stay-at-home dad and normally does all the housework so I have enough energy for my work and homeschooling). It's ambitious, but I want to do all the laundry, cooking, dishwashing, and giving the toddler his bath for one day. I feel like I'm planning to run a 5K, LOL.

#15

Hi Ethel,

It sounds like you are preparing for a 5K, what you described is our bodies version of a 5K lol I am sending support your way in hopes that you feel better and are able to enjoy the productive day : ) Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,

Sara

Ethel said:

Thank you, Sara - that was what that day was :-) I was at the peak of my monthly PMS flare, and I always have a rough time where I just don't do my best on those days. Very fibro-foggy.


SaraZ553 said:

Hi Ethel,

Thanks for sharing : ) It sounds like you felt unproductive, but you made it a very productive day despite how you felt. I understand what you mean about making it through the work day. It can be rough, but we make it through!

Hugs,

Sara

Here are three things for today:

1. Got a handoff for a project that has been floating around and not really getting completed at work, so that now the ball is solidly in my court and I can actually move it along.

2. Took a painkiller for distracting aches and pains, rather than trying to work through them (I'm really bad about forgetting that painkillers can help and make me more productive - pre-fibro, I took painkillers maybe once a month).

3. Made plans to help my husband celebrate his birthday. I am hoping my health holds up and I can do some housecleaning this weekend (since he is a stay-at-home dad and normally does all the housework so I have enough energy for my work and homeschooling). It's ambitious, but I want to do all the laundry, cooking, dishwashing, and giving the toddler his bath for one day. I feel like I'm planning to run a 5K, LOL.

1 Like
#16

I love this concept, and I really needed this today. It was a really tough day for me… BUT I’m proud to say that

  1. I fed and watered the dog at breakfast and dinner time.

  2. I talked to my therapist and discussed some options to go forward that I hadn’t considered before. We made a plan. This website was part of it.

  3. I cleaned up the kitchen and made stuffed peppers for dinner.

Thank you, Sara for giving me a more positive way to look at my life.

Sincerely,
SarahB

1 Like