Floods

Hi JayCS

Just seen on the news the awful flooding in Germany and I was wondering if you and your family are safe and OK. Praying for you.

1 Like

Hi Rosebud, I didn’t know about the flooding in Germany. Hope you’re ok JayCS.:hugs:

1 Like

Thanks both of you! As yet we don’t seem directly affected by the water masses, but a lot of my relatives, altho we haven’t heard anything from them yet, no-one’s answering text messages. We’re worrying, my wife was crying a bit when she told me the newest news this morning, after yesterday the news sounded as if the brunt were thru with. And we’re desperately praying all the dams will hold. Thanks for your prayers too! :pray:
Usually we have some floods in Germany due to the snow melt etc. in the winter. This is new and more threatening: The jetstream has been slowed down due to the global warming, so the clouds have a long time in one place to discharge tons of rain.

Update: All of my relatives are far enough away or high enough up from the Rhine and its tributaries. The dams seem stable & undamaged up to now…

Update August 1st: Some relatives and a good acquaintance are in a direct vicinity of the havoc caused. Whilst many 100s of complete houses and lives have been lost, there is a lot of help, donations, the basic things are being moved very quickly, which inspires a spirit of optimism, sort of pioneer spirit, at least in positively thinking people who are helping but not directly affected…

The big problem is that there is no appropriate help for the many traumatized people, aside from talking about it and the joint effort. I always hope in these situations, something I’ve read up in psychological literature, that trauma we get from nature is on average better to cope with and process than trauma we get from people…

Update August 8th: As it’s summer hols in those areas, even school kids who aren’t directly concerned are helping every day, and learning a lot. I wonder if that happens in other disaster areas.

1 Like

JayCS, this is just so interesting, and I’m glad that you are OK. It must be absolutely horrible to go through something like this.

This stood out for me in what you said:

I’ve read up in psychological literature, that trauma we get from nature is on average better to cope with and process than trauma we get from people…

That’s really interesting, and certainly is congruent with my broad experience here on patient support communities. The fallout from the disease itself is most often easier for people to deal with than the fallout from the way other people react to it, or to them. Thought provoking.

Seenie

1 Like

Yep, brilliant example, exactly the kind of example used in trauma literature, relating to disease as well as psychological trauma… If people wdnt cover up, it’d have less chance to happen and esp. less to get stuck.

I think part of the “goodness” in our existence is apparently our freedom to decide to do bad or good. Part of nature is it being fiinite, allowing change, which is often good, but often hurts, praps also a kind of freedom, which also allows us to do more to prevent and alleviate… if we decide :face_with_monocle:

Believing in … making a change … for the good … makes all the difference…

1 Like

One of the things that fascinates me about the work we do is the variety of human experience, and the infinite variations on how people deal with that experience. That said, the other “layer” is the fact that people with rare conditions often have to deal with the condition as well as with the feeling of being alone in that experience.

There is nothing more interesting than people and their life experiences. Nothing.

BTW, I need to thank you for your jackdaw analogy with Dodi. It was perfect, and you made a perfecty sensible suggestion for how she could deal with her angst.

C

1 Like