Quantcast

Living With Fibromyalgia - Online Support Group

Fibromyalgia or Flouroquinolone Toxicity

How many of you have taken Fluoroquinolones? They are antibiotics that are commonly used to treat a variety of illnesses such as respiratory and urinary tract infections. These medicines include ciprofloxacin (Cipro), gemifloxacin (Factive), levofloxacin (Levaquin), moxifloxacin (Avelox), norfloxacin (Noroxin), and ofloxacin (Floxin).

They cause a variety of symptoms and the list is mounting. Tendinitis, Nerve Issues, Sleep Problems, Digestive Challenges, Depression, lack of energy, hypertension, aorta problems, and more.

These meds have been around since 1978. I have probably had them prescribed no fewer than 5x. They now have warnings per the FDA, but most MDs are either unaware or underaware.

I wanted to post this to spread the word. If at all possible, ask for a non-flouroquinalone antibiotic if you absolutely need one. I tell all MDs and hospitals I am allergic to it just to be sure they don’t accidentally give it to me in a new, brand named product.

1 Like

What i do not understand is why these drugs are still on the market…i see warnings about them frequently…

My husband was given one recently , and forgot not to accept it, then had to call and ask for something different…

They have taken 8 or 9 brands off the market. Inf your only alternative is death, then maybe…Good thing your husband remembered.

I had a really bad reaction to Cipro. I was prescribed it for a month but by the end of the first week I had such a bad headache I was running my head under the cold water tap as no amount of painkiller would stop it. I get migraines all the time but this was truly awful. I thought my eyes would pop out of my head and there was a very loud ringing noise all the time. I was sweating but cold. Within 12 hours of stopping them thankfully the headache went. I told my doctor and they noted it on my records. If it was a live or die infection then not sure which would kill me first.

Continuing the discussion from Fibromyalgia or Flouroquinolone Toxicity:

About twenty years ago I was given Cipro for an infection. Right away I noticed the weirdest sensations. I was sure I’d been given the wrong drug - an antibiotic shouldn’t have made me feel- drugged with psychoactive medication, but it felt like that. I remember thinking that I shouldn’t drive on it.

I can’t even count the number of times I have been given antibiotics and have no idea how many of them were quinolones or flouroquinolones, but I have had issues for most of my life. While the antibiotics may have saved me, right now my health is a daily struggle even with clean eating and rest. Trying something new with heavy magnesium and Vit D among other supplements. Here is an article with info about the antibiotic problem. Great intel.

I was given cipro about 7 years ago for a UTI and my Achilles’ tendon was killing me after I took it. I called the dr and told them and they said oh no, finish taking it. Tear or Achilles tendinitis is the first sentence on the paper that comes with the drug. What is wrong with these Drs? Now if I need an antibiotic I tell them I can’t take cipro.

So I have some good info for you as I have been doing a ton of research. Here is what I think is going on. People that have compromised gut health take antibiotics with Cipro and other Flouroquinolones being particularly problematic and what happens is that their K2 which was previously being made by specific gut bacteria gets completely wiped out. Then it is a perfect storm because they then have no protection against calcification resulting from oxalates in the diet (spinach, potatoes, sweet potato, chocolate, almonds, tea, and more). These oxalates bind with calcium and in the absence of K2 go into the soft tissues. There was just a study that showed that those with Fibromyalgia are lacking certain bacteria and have too much of other bacteria in the gut. It is all coming together for me. Great news is that a low oxalate or even a no oxalate diet eventually can help. It is taking time, but i have been getting better eating a zero carb diet and taking potassium citrate among other great supplements including, of course, K2, which everyone really needs and most don’t get in their diet.