Quantcast

Living With Fibromyalgia - Online Support Group

Fatigue and Fibro

My new rheumatologist asked me if I would be willing to do a sleep study due to my fatigue and I was quite surprised of the results ! I have moderate sleep apnea that needs medical attention .I have learned that many people with Fibromyalgia may also have sleep apnea but don't know because very few doctors recommend the study to there patients. I have to go back to the sleep center to be observed and fitted with a cpap machine to help me breath at night.I'm not looking forward to wearing the devise but I have heard you get used to it after a few days and it makes a big difference in the quality of your sleep and life ! I have read that stopping breathing while sleeping can cause some serious medical problems if you do nothing about it and being sleep deprived is hard on your mind and body .

So if you have bad fatigue like myself you may want to ask your doctor if this study might be helpful to you ?

I never thought that I had sleep apnea and was rather shocked to be dignosed with it !

Do any of you have fibro and sleep apnea ? Do you use a cpap machine and if so has it helped you ?

Yes I have been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and given a machine to use but that diagnosis came first. I was doing really well with everything until I was in a vehicle accident. I had two compression fractures in my back. I was out of work for a month and a half because I had kyphoplasty done otherwise it would have taken 3 to 4 months. I now get spasms. My fibro seems worst and the fatigue is much worst. A lot of other things are worst too. After a million tests a Cardiologist made an appointment for me to see the sleep doctor. She set up a more comprehensive test and found I now have ongoing severe sleep apnea and need a bi-pap machine because it’s the only one that seemed to help. So yes it does seem more common than you would think.