Dads girlfriend is visiting and im supposed tobkeep my dog out of her medicine

HI ITS SUZYQ IM HAVING A PROBLEM EVERY TIME MY DADS GIRLFRIEND VISITS SHE LEAVES HER MEDICATION SHES DIABETIF HAD HEARTSURGERY HER MEDS FILL A 1 GALLON FREEZERBAG LADT NIGHT MY DOG HEIDI WENT INTO DSDS ROOM AND GRABBED AND CAME OUT WITH PINK SHEETS OF PAPER THE NEXT TIME SHE WAS CHEWING ON SOMETHING IT WAS A SILVER FOIL MED PACK THAT YOU PUSH THE PILLS THROUGH THR BACK I TOOK IT OUT OF HER MOUTH NOTICED WHAT.IT WAS HSNDED IT TO HIM HE SAID YOU KEEP HER OUT OF THE GIRLFRIENDS PILLS THERE IS A 3 DRAWER DRESSER THATS SO HIGH SHE CSNT REACH THE YOP SHRS AN SUSRTSLIAN SHEPARD A LITTLE SMALLLRT THSN A GERMAN SHEPARD OR SHE COULD KEEP IT IN A CLOSED DRAWER WHEN I VISIT MY SISTERS WITH DIGS ALL MY MEDS ARE IN CHILDRESISTANT BOTTLES AND THE BOTTLES IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BAG THRYVE NEVER GOTTEN INTO MY PILLS IM CAREFUL I DONT WANT HEIDI OR ANYONE ELSE GET INTO MY MEDS I THINK THST EACH PERSON IS REDPONDABLR FOR THEIR OWN MEDS/SUPPLIES UNLESS YOURE A MINOR/MENTALLY CHALLENGED DAD EVEN TOLD HRIDI IF SHR DIDNT STOP IT AND STAY OUT OF HER PILLS HE SAID WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO TO PAWS ITS A NO KILL ANIMAL SHELTER THAT MY DECEASED MOTHER HELPED START/DID FUNDRSISING AM I TO BE RESPONSABLE FOR THE GIRLFRIENDS PILLS OR IS SHE IVE KEPT HER OUT DO FAR IM TRYING TO DEALING WITH TRYING TO PREPARE FOR MY HEARING JUNE 19TH I HAVE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITHOUT THE ADDED STRESS WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK THANKS EVERYONE IM SO GLAD TO BE A PART OF THIS GROUP SORRY FOR THIS LONG POST

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles. I don’t think that his girlfriends meds should be your responsibility, but to save yourself and your dog some grief I would put them somewhere up high where the dog can’t get into them or in a drawer somewhere. Maybe putting them in a separate room and keeping that door shut so the dog can’t get in would be a good idea as well.

HI AHAVA THEY ARE IN A SEPERATE ROOM AND THE DOOR IS SHUT MOST OF THE TIME AND IM ALWAYS WSTCHING I TALKED TO HER AND SAID STAY ON THE CARPET HIS ROOM HAS HARDWOOD FLOOR THEY SHOULD BE LEAVING FOR DES MOINES ON SATURDAY SHE MAKES FLOWER ARRANGEMENTS FOR GRAVES IN HER HOMETOWN OF COLFAX IOWA ITS OUTSIDE OF AMES ITS A TRSDITION FOR THEM UNLESS THEY DID IT LAST WEEKEND ON THEIR WAY BACK FROM VACATION IN LAUGHLIN NEVADA ITS NICE TO BE BY LURSELVES FOR 2-3 DAYS HE WAS GONE 8 DSGS WHILE ON THE LAUGHLIN TRIP HE RETURNED WITH HER LAST SUNDAY HE LEFT THE FRIDAY BEFORE IM GLAD TO BE ABLE TO COME ONLINE AND TALK WITH THE GROUP HAVE A GOOD EVENING

Hey Q,

I'm with you, girl, I think it's her responsibility to keep others safe by taking the proper precautions. A child could enter at anytime too, and it could kill your dog! After nicely making this crystal clear, I would then go so far as to put a message on the bathroom mirror to remind her to keep her meds in a closed high dresser drawer at all times.

It is beyond common sense, common courtesy, it is her duty as a responsible adult to keep all dangerous substances away from animals, children, teenagers AT ALL TIMES!!

Wow, it should not even have to be said, you know?

Hopefully she will concur, and comply and you can enjoy their visit!

Always good to hear from you, Q!

Big hugs,

K

She is the one who should be responsible for her own medications! She should be making sure that they aren't within any reach of little children, or animals. It really shouldn't be your issue. However, if they are making it your problem, maybe you can say, "Here let's put this right here, out of reach for the dog" and let her see you put it in a safe area. Silly of her to just want to leave it out, and make you the one responsible! Just my opinion.

Hugs, Vicky

Suzy,

In a perfect world, your Dad's girlfriend would be smart enough to be careful about her meds but since she isn't and refuses to be so, apparently, I think it's only wise that you be proactive, so your dog doesn't get poisoned from eating her meds.

Can you restrict her access, like only allowing her into your room or the living room? I know, I know, it's not fair to your dog but I'm worried about her eating those pills! Does your Dad and his girlfriend leave for several days? Heidi could come out when they aren't around.

If this isn't an option, what about buying something that your dog can't get into that the pills could be safely stored in? Like a fireproof safe. Your dad's girlfriend could put the key on her keyring and open it when needed. Heidi could never get in. I think you could get one big enough to store her pills in. Or just something that locks. I know how challenging it is because my sis has a cockapoo who's the twin to your Australian Shepherd in the curiosity/grabbing/eating department (he's found and eaten 3-4 pairs of my glasses, a computer cord, several books, my cell phone's plastic casing, etc, etc, etc.) These are the dogs that you have to outfox! I'll see if I can find anything useful on Ebay and if I do, I'll post a link here.

Here's a safe that may be big enough to hold all of her meds:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OpenBox-SentrySafe-500-FIRE-SAFE-Box-0-15-Cubic-Feet-Black-/370791220254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5654e1041e

I'm tired and in pain so can't think of other safe places to store her meds. Hopefully some other good ideas will be posted to help you out.

HI K IM GOING TO MAKE SURE HIS DOOR IS CLOSED WHEN THEYRE GONE IF I LEFT A NOTE OR SAID ANYTHING IT WOULD MAKE THE SITUATION WORSE HED SAY ITS MY HOUSE I PAY THE BILLS AND WE CAN DO WHAT WE WANT. ILL JUST KEEP HER OUT I TSLKED TO HER OR KEEP THE DOOR SHUT THANKS FOR BEING THERE FOR ME

HI KHOLMES LIKE IVE TOLD THE OTHERS IF I SAY ANYTHING OR LEAVE A NOTE HELL SAY MY HOUSE I PAY THE BILLS WELL DO WHAT WE WANT ILL WATCH HER OR KEEP THE DOOR SHUT THANKS FOR BEING THERE FOR ME

HI VICKY IVE TOLD THE OTHERS IF I SAY ANYTHING OR LEAVE A NOTE HELL SAY ITS MY HOUSE I PAY THE BILLS WELL DO WHAT WE WANT ILL KEEP HER OUT WATCH HER OR KEEP THE DOOR SHUT

THANKS PETUNIA GIRL I HAVNT OR THE OTHERS HAVNT THOUGHT OF THAT THWNKS MAYBE SHELL GET THE IDEA WITH HER NAME ON IT I DONT THINK THATLL CAUSE A PROBLEM